Name of Staff: Prakash V. Arumugam
Designation: Deputy Dean / Senior Lecturer
Qualifications: Bachelor of Social Sciences (Economics) (Hons) (USM), Master of Public Administration (USM), Master of Economic Management (USM)
He has been involved in education for the past 25 years at different levels. He has taught economics, statistics and basic management in several diploma and degree programmes for a good 18 years before joining WOU. He holds two masters degrees in public administration as well as economics. Mr. Prakash is currently a doctoral candidate at University of Malaya.
In WOU, he has been tasked with the running of the postgraduate programmes especially CEMPA. He teaches in undergraduate and postgraduate courses in both the distance learning and full-time programmes of WOU. Mr. Prakash mainly lectures in the areas of public administration and economics.
In the international front, he is a member of the International Academic Board of the Commonwealth Executive MBA/PA Programmes, Commonwealth of Learning, Canada since 2011. He also holds memberships in several local and international professional associations including the Malaysian Economic Association and the International Economic Development Research Center.
Course Development Experience
As Writer / Adapter:
2. Public Systems Management
3. Public Policy
4. Development Planning and Administration
5. Policy Analysis and Implementation
6. Contemporary Administrative Systems
7. Disaster Management
As Course Team Member:
1. International Business
Current research interest is in the area of foreign direct investment between East Asia and Southeast Asian economies. Also conducts research in distance learning and adult motivation including retention studies, student support and assessment design.
1. Prakash Arumugam (2015). Effective Tutoring: Learner’s Perception and Institutional Responsibility. Pakistan Journal of Distance and Online Learning, Vol. 1(1), December 2015, pp 11-24.
2. Prakash Arumugam (2015). Motivation, Learning Strategies and Distance Learners. 29th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 30 November – 2 December 2015, Kuala Lumpur
3. Prakash Arumugam, Jasmine Emmanuel, Ch'ng Lay Kee (2015). Stressors, Coping Strategies and Use of Social Support: A Comparison of Male and Female Undergraduate Open Distance Learning Students at The WOU Penang Learning Centre. 29th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 30 November – 2 December 2015, Kuala Lumpur
4. Prakash Arumugam (2014). Moodle Quizzes in the Learning Environment. 28th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 28-31 October 2014, Hong Kong
5. Prakash Arumugam (2013). Personalised System of Instructions: The ODL way. AAOU Journal, Vol. 8 (1), March 2013, pp 13-22.
6. Prakash Arumugam (2013). Effective Tutoring: Learner’s Perception and Institutional Responsibility. 27th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 1-3 October 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan
7. Prakash Arumugam (2012). PowerPoint and Narration: Substituting the Classroom. 26th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 16-18 October 2012, Chiba, Japan
8. Prakash Arumugam (2012). Personalised System of Instructions: The ODL way. 26th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 16-18 October 2012, Chiba, Japan
9. Prakash Arumugam (2012). Assessment and Learning Outcomes: QA in motion. International Seminar on Open and Distance Learning, 26-28 October 2012, Danang, Vietnam
10. Prakash Arumugam (2010). Flight Risk: Indentifying Potential Drop-outs. 24th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 26-28th October 2010, Hanoi, Vietnam.
11. Prakash Arumugam (2011). Abolishing PPSMI: A move in the right direction...or is it? COL CEMBA/PA Case Study Bank.
12. Prakash Arumugam (2007). Online Auction Houses and Strategic Bidding Behaviour: A Case Study of Lelong.com. Unpublished Master's Thesis.
Commonwealth Executive Master of Public Administration (CEMPA) Final Year Project
1. Title: Implementation of BR1M: Issues and Complications
Candidate: Khoo Kok Siang
2. Title: Working Mothers: Work-Life Balance Through Effective Government Policies
Candidate: Satnam Kaur
3. Title: Nursing Student’s Perception towards Service Quality of its Public Training Institution
Candidate: See Teik Lan
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Business and Administration
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah,