Name of Staff: Prakash V. Arumugam
Designation: Deputy Dean / Senior Lecturer
Qualifications: Bachelor of Social Sciences (Economics) (Hons) (USM), Master of Public Administration (USM), Master of Economic Management (USM)
He has been involved in education for the past 25 years at different levels. He has taught economics, statistics and basic management in several diploma and degree programmes for a good 18 years before joining WOU. He holds two masters degrees in public administration as well as economics. Mr. Prakash is currently a doctoral candidate at University of Malaya.
In WOU, he has been tasked with the running of the postgraduate programmes; namely the CEMBA and CEMPA programmes. He teaches in undergraduate and postgraduate courses in both the distance learning and full-time programmes of WOU. Mr. Prakash mainly lectures in the areas of public administration and economics.
In the international front, he is a member of the International Academic Board of the Commonwealth Executive MBA/PA Programmes, Commonwealth of Learning, Canada since 2011. He also holds memberships in several local and international professional associations including the Malaysian Economic Association.
Course / Module Writing Experience
He has hands on experience in using open educational resources (OER) in writing and adapting courses. He has written and adapted several courses at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including Microeconomics, Public Systems Management, Public Policy, Development Planning and Administration, Policy Analysis and Implementation, Contemporary Administrative Systems, Disaster Management, Economic Environment of Business, Research Methods and Quantitative Techniques.
He has also contributed in the writing and development of courses including International Business, Macroeconomics and Business Statistics.
Current research interest is in the area of foreign direct investment between East Asia and Southeast Asian economies. Also conducts research in distance learning and adult motivation including retention studies, student support and assessment design.
1. Stakeholder’s Expectation on Employee Well-Being: A Case Study of Open Distance Learning (ODL) University – Institute of Research and Innovation Research Grant (December 2016 – ongoing) – Co-Researcher
2. A Study of factors that are hindering the students’ success in ODL programmes of WOU and designing strategies to enhance students’ successes rate. – Institute of Research and Innovation Research Grant (December 2016 – ongoing) – Co-Researcher
1. Arumugam, P.V. (2016). Open Educational Resources and Cost Savings Efforts: Lessons from WOU. The International Journal on Open and Distance e-Learning, Vol. 2(2), December 2016, pp 49-60.
2. Arumugam, P.V. (2016). OER and Cost Savings: Lessons from WOU. 30th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 26 – 29 October 2016, Manila, Philippines
3. Arumugam, P.V. (2015). Effective Tutoring: Learner’s Perception and Institutional Responsibility. Pakistan Journal of Distance and Online Learning, Vol. 1(1), December 2015, pp 11-24.
4. Arumugam, P.V. (2015). Motivation, Learning Strategies and Distance Learners. 29th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 30 November – 2 December 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5. Emmanuel, J.S., Arumugam, P.V., & Ch'ng L.K. (2015). Stressors, Coping Strategies and Use of Social Support: A Comparison of Male and Female Undergraduate Open Distance Learning Students at The WOU Penang Learning Centre. 29th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 30 November – 2 December 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
6. Arumugam, P.V. (2014). Moodle Quizzes in the Learning Environment. 28th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 28-31 October 2014, Hong Kong
7. Arumugam, P.V. (2013). Personalised System of Instructions: The ODL way. AAOU Journal, Vol. 8 (1), March 2013, pp 13-22.
8. Arumugam, P.V. (2013). Effective Tutoring: Learner’s Perception and Institutional Responsibility. 27th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 1-3 October 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan
9. Arumugam, P.V. (2012). PowerPoint and Narration: Substituting the Classroom. 26th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 16-18 October 2012, Chiba, Japan
10. Arumugam, P.V. (2012). Personalised System of Instructions: The ODL way. 26th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 16-18 October 2012, Chiba, Japan
11. Arumugam, P.V. (2012). Assessment and Learning Outcomes: QA in motion. International Seminar on Open and Distance Learning, 26 – 28 October 2012, Danang, Vietnam
12. Arumugam, P.V. (2010). Flight Risk: Indentifying Potential Drop-outs. 24th Asian Association of Open Universities Annual Conference, 26 – 28 October 2010, Hanoi, Vietnam.
13. Arumugam, P.V. (2011). Abolishing PPSMI: A move in the right direction…or is it? COL CEMBA/PA Case Study Bank.
14. Arumugam, P.V. (2007). Online Auction Houses and Strategic Bidding Behaviour: A Case Study of Lelong.com. Unpublished Master’s Thesis
>> Editorial Board
- Pakistan Journal of Distance and Online Learning – Member
>> Professional Association
- Malaysian Economic Association - Member
- Global Association of Teachers of Economics - Member
- CEMBA/PA Consortium, Commonwealth of Learning, Vancouver - Academic Board Member
- International Economic Development and Research Center (IEDRC) - Member
- Association for Development of Teaching, Education and Learning (ADTEL) - Life Member
Commonwealth Executive Master of Public Administration (CEMPA) Final Year Project
1. Title: A Study on the Satisfaction Level towards Local Government Service Delivery System in Mersing, Johor
Candidate: Kan Pei Ying
Completion : Ongoing
2. Title: Implementation of BRIM: Issues and Complications
Candidate: Khoo Kok Siang
Completion : 2012
3. Title: Working Mothers: Work-Life Balance Through Effective Government Policies
Candidate: Satnam Kaur
Completion : 2012
4. Title: Nursing Student's Perception towards Service Quality of its Public Training Institution
Candidate: See Teik Lan
Completion : 2010
Official Correspondence Address
School of Business and Administration
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah,