Name of Staff: Prof Dr Balakrishnan Muniandy
Qualifications: PhD (Oregon, USA)), M.Ed (USM), B.A. (Hons) – Geography & Economics, (USM), Cert in Teaching (MTC Penang)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS
- Ismail Md Zain &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2016). ASIE Instructional Design Model for the 21st Century Learning: An Integrated Approach in Instructional Designing for Teachers. Scholars’ Press: Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Jane Teng Yan Fan, Balakrishnan Muniandy& Paul D. Souza (2014)(Eds.). The Heart of Education: Learning to Live Together. UNESCO: Paris, France & Bangkok, Thailand.
- Balakrishnan Muniandy& Others (2014). Contributor to the Handbook of Games and Simulation in Teacher Education. Published by I-Tunes as Ipad Application developed collaboratively by the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE), the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE), the National Technology Leadership Coalition.
- Malliga K. Govindasamy, Balakrishnan Muniandy& Rozinah Jamaluddin (2012). The Effects of Pedagogical Agent on Low Academic Ability Students’ Learning of Science. Penang: Centre for Instructional technology and Multimedia. ISBN: 978-967-394116-2.
- Malliga K. Govindasamy &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2012). Animated Pedagogical Agents: The Emerging Facet in Instructional Technology. Penang: Centre for Instructional Technology and Multimedia. ISBN: 978-967-394-117-9.
- Balakrishnan Muniandy, Tan Poay Phing, Mona Masoosd, & Rossafri Mohamad (2010). Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Training Curriculum and strategies used for Training Pre Service Teachers in Malaysian Public Universities. CITM Research Monograph. ISBN 978-967-5417-29-0.
- Rossafri Mohamad, Balakrishnan Muniandy, Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya & Irfan Naufal Umar (2010). Design, Development and Testing of Interactive
- Fong Soon Fook, Rozhan M. Idrus, Balakrishnan Muniandy et. al (2010). Impact Assessment Study on the EDUWEBTV Programme. Published by UPPA, USM. ISBN. 978-983-2700-94-4.
- Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya, Sobihatun Nur Abdul Salam, &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2009). Persuasive Technology: The Design and Development of an Interactive Multimedia Application in Reducing Children Dental Anxiety. Penang: CITM. Research Monograph (ISBN 983-41741-3-2.)
- Mona Masood, Balakrishnan Muniandy& Irfan Naufal Umar (Eds.)(2009). The Future of Higher Education. Publication of South-East Asian Association of Institutional Research (SEAAIR). ISBN 978-983-3986-79-8.
- Malathi Letchumanan, Balakrishnan Muniandy and Mariam Mohamad (2020). Implementing e-book in mathematics course: Investigating postgraduate students patterns of use. In Donnie Adams & Dorothy Dewitt (2020). (Eds). Innovative Practices of Technology-Enhanced Learning. Tanjung Malim: Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris.
- Paul D. Souza &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2014). The Heart of Education is the Education of the Heart. In Jane Teng Yan Fan, Balakrishnan Muniandy & Paul D. Souza (2014)(Eds.) The Heart of Education: Learning to Live Together. UNESCO: Bangkok, Thailand.
- Maryam Sulaiman, Zurida Haji ismail & Balakrishnan Muniandy (2012). Cognitive Apprenticeship through lesson study: An approach towards shaping the mental models of teaching pre-service chemistry teachers. In Ahmad Nurulazam Md Zain & Devadason Robert Peter (Eds.)(2012). Transforming school science education in the 21st century. Penang: SEAMEO-RECSAM. ISBN. No. 978-967-930-022-2.
- Malliga K. Govindasamy &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2012). Issues and concerns when employing virtual talking characters in pedagogical roles. In Educational Practices in a Learning Ubiquitious Environment. Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Educational Technology Association (META). ISBN 978-983-42733-5-4.
- Sathiayapriya Veloo &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2011). Acceptance of Readily and Freely Available Online Video Resources for Teaching English Language: An Evaluation by TESOL Pre-Service Teachers. In Rozhan et. Al. (2011). Open education: Towards a Ubiquitous Learning Environment. Petalin g Jaya: Pearson Malaysia.
- Malliga K. Govindasamy &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2011). Issues and concerns when employing virtual talking characters in pedagogical roles. In Rozhan et. Al. (2011). Open education: Towards a Ubiquitous Learning Environment. Petalin g Jaya: Pearson Malaysia.
- Nasim Ebrahimi Jozani &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2010). A content analysis of research published in ETR&D Journal (2003-2007). In Rozhan et. Al. (2011). Open education: Towards a Ubiquitous Learning Environment. Petalinng Jaya: Pearson Malaysia.
- Balakrishnan Muniandy (2010). Study on Status of Use of ICT in Science and mathematics Education among SEAMEO member countries. SEAMEO-RECSAM Monograph.
- Balakrishnan Muniandy, Rossafri Mohamad, Fong Soon Fook & Rozhan Mohammed Idrus (2010). Technology Application in Project-Based Learning. Journal of Communication and Computer, Vol. 7, No. 2. – Confirmed.
- Rossafri Mohamad &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2010). The design, development and testing of multimedia courseware template for history. Journal of Communication and Computer. Vol. 7(2).
- Jeya Amantha Kumar, Balakrishnan Muniandy & Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya (2019). New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, Vol. 25, Nos 1-2, pp. 57-86.
- J.A. Kumar, B. Muniandy & Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya (2018). Exploring how emotional intelligence and academic achievement influences e-learning achievement: A case study in Malaysian Polytechnics. Advanced Sciece Letters 24(10, pp. 226-229.
- J.A. Kumar, B. Muniandy & Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya (2018). Exploring the effects of visual aesthetics in e-learning for engineering students. Knowledge management & E- learning – An International Journal 10(3), 250-264.
- Ismail Md Zain, Balakrishnan Muniandy& Wahid Hashim (2016). The Integration of 21st Century Learning Framework in the ASIE Instructional Design Model. Psychology Research, Vol. 6(7), pp. 415-425.
- Malathi Letchumanan &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2016). How Mathematics Postgraduate Students Use Mobile e-book?, Library Hi Tech News, No. 7, 2016, pp. 6-7, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 0741-9058, DOI 10.1108/LHTN-02-20160009.
- Malathi Letchumanan &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2016). Exploring the Influence of Utilitarian, Cognitive and Affective Factors on the Use of E-Books via Handheld Mobile Devices: A Review. Malaysian Journal of Mathematical Sciences. Vol. 10, pp. 249-266. Indexed by SCOPUS. ISSN 1823-8343. e-ISSN 2289-750X
- Jeya Amantha Kumar, Balakrishnan Muniandy, Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya (2016). Emotional Design in Multimedia: Does Gender and Academic Achievement Influence Learning Outcomes? Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol 4 (3), pp. 37-50, ISSN: 2289-2990.
- Jeya Amantha Kumar, Balakrishnan Muniandy, Wan Ahmad Jaafar Wan Yahaya (2016). Emotional Design in Multimedia Learning: How Emotional Intelligence Moderates Learning Outcomes. International Journal of Modern Education and Computer Science, Vol. 5, pp. 54-63. 2075-0161 (Print), ISSN: 2075-017X (Online)
- Ismail Md Zain, Balakrishnan Muniandy& Wahid Hashim (2016). An Integral ASIE ID Model: The 21st Century Instructional Design Model for Teachers. Universal Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 4(3), pp. 547-554. ISSN: 2332-3205.
- Suwarna Rani Subramaniam &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2016). Concept and Characteristics of Flipped Classroom (2016). International Journal of Emerging Trends in Science and Technology. Vol. 3(1), pp. 3422-3430. ISSN 2348-9480.
- S. Amutha &M. Balakrishnan (2015). Experiences and Challenges of Using Flipped Classroom by Postgraduate Students: A Preliminary Comparative Study Between India and Malaysia. Asian Journal of Humanitis and Social Studies. Vol. 3, Issue05, pp. 376-381.
- Nafiseh Hojjati &Balakrishnan Muniandy (2014). The effects of font type and spacing of text for online readability and performance. Contemporary Educational Technology, 2014, 5(2), 161-174.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS / PROCEEDINGS
- Fascilitators Views and Experiences of Teaching Older Adults to Use ICT, INTED 2015, Madrid, Spain, 2nd March, 2015.
- Why do older adults learn to use ICT: A Malaysian case study. INTED 2015, Madrid, Spain, 2nd March, 2015.
- Research in Educational Technology: An Epistemological and Methodological Analysis. 2nd ETAR Conference 2015, 25.11.2015, Bali, Indonesia.
- Managing and utilising online video clips for teaching English Language: Views of TESOL Pre service Teacher. 2nd International Conference on education and Management Technology (ICEMT 2011). August 19-21, 2011, Shanghai, China.
- User acceptance of a Key performance Indicators Monitoring System (KPI-MS0 in Higher Education: An Application of the Technology Acceptance Model. 2nd International Conference on education and Management Technology (ICEMT 2011). August 19-21, 2011, Shanghai, China.
- Acceptance of readily and Freely Available Online Video resources for Teaching English Language, 5th International Malaysian Educational Technology Convention (IMETC 2011), 16-19 October, 2011, Kuantan, Pahang.
- Academic use of Internet among undergraduate students: A preliminary case study in a Malaysian university. International Conference on Internet Studies, 24-27 November 2010, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Pre Service Teachers Experiences of Authoring Multimedia Projects. Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010, 17-20 May, 2010, Penang, Malaysia.
- Asssessing difficulties of conducting educational technology research by graduate students: A point of departure for building institutional instructional research capacity. SEAAIR 2008 Conference, Surabaya, Indonesia, 2008.
- Pre service teachers authoring multimedia: A project-based learning approach. ED-MEDIA 2008: World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Vienna, Austria, 2008.
- Linking students globally through ICT project-based learning. ED-MEDIA 2008: World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Vienna, Austria, 2008.
- Preparing Pre Service Teachers to Use Information Technology in Education: A Case Study at Science University of Malaysia. 18th International SITE Conference, San Antonio, Texas, USA. 2007.
VISITING LECTURER, TRAINER AND KEY NOTE PRESENTATIONS
- Keynote Address entitled “Instructional Technology Framework at Global Standards” at International Conference organised by J.J. College of Education, Trichy, on 22.1.2018.
- Presentation of Workshop entitled “A Matrix of Content, Pedagogy, Theory and Technology in Teacher Education” to 40 Indian University Lecturers from 6 states of India, organized by UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Bharathidasan University, Khajamalai Campus, Tiruchirappali, India on 20th January 2018.
- Invited Speaker at International Conference on “Globalization and Teacher Education” at Annapourna College of Education, Kolkata, West Bengal, India, entitled “ Globalization and Teacher Education – The Malaysian Experience”, on 6th December 2017.
- Keynote address entitled, “Directions and Developments of Research Paradigms, International Conference on Globalization of Teacher Education, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India, on 19th January 2018.
- Keynote Speaker and Workshop Presenter for Graduate Students of Syiah Kuala Universitas, Acheh, Indonesia, 26th October, 2017.
- Keynote Speaker entitled “Positioning Technology and Theories in Studies and Pedagogical Application of Language, Art and Culture, at the Intrenational Seminar on Languages and Arts – ISLA 5, at Padang State University, Indonesia, 19th October, 2016.
- Invited Speaker at the Department of Educational Technology, Bharathidasan University, Indian – Present alecture entitled’ “Recent Trends of Research Areas in Educational Technology”, on 20th July 2015.
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences
Wawasan Open University
54 Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah,