Name of Staff: Associate Professor Ts Dr Tan Kian Lam (Andrew)
Designation: Head, School of Digital Technology (DiGiT)
Qualifications: PhD (Computer Science), UGA France; PhD (Computer Science), USM; Master of Computer Science (Information and Knowledge Engineering) USM; BCompSc (Computing and Software Engineering) USM
Retrieval Models (Vector Space Model, Probabilistic Model and Language Model), Document indexing and term weighting, system experimentation and evaluation, data science, data mining, artificial intelligence, digital heritage, deep learning, convolutional neural network, gamification.
Research and Development
Selected Grants obtained as a LEADER from 2015 until now:
- Exploring the Large-Scale Life Logging in Tourism Sector to Enhance the Sharing Experience; INTERNATIONAL GRANT FROM FRENCH EMBASSY – RM36,469 (Completed)
- Language Model to Solve Inconsistency, Incompleteness and Short Query in Cultural Heritage Collection; KEMENTERIAN PENGAJIAN TINGGI – RM38,000 (Completed)
- Matching Grant from Plexus Malaysia: 3 HP Servers – RM147,000 (Completed)
- Digital Heritage Gamification: An Augmented-Virtual Walkthrough to Learn and Explore Historical Places in Malaysia using Mobile Device; GRANT FROM UNIVERSSITI PENDIDIKAN SULTAN IDRIS – RM14,739 (Completed)
- Construction and Reconstruction in Mobile Virtual Heritage Application as an Edutainment Tool; GRANT FROM UNIVERSSITI PENDIDIKAN SULTAN IDRIS – RM15,600 (Completed)
- Development and Awareness of Public Music Instruments using Augmented Reality through Mobile Learning; SPECIAL GRANT FROM UNIVERSSITI PENDIDIKAN SULTAN IDRIS – RM9,410 (Completed)
- Development of a Digital Entrepreneurial Startup Kit for the Graduates: From Ideation, Incubation, Acceleration to Expansion; CERI INTENSIVE GRANT FROM WAWASAN OEPN UNIVERSITY – RM5,000 (Completed)
- Predictive Analysis of Employment of Fresh Graduates from Private Universities of Malaysia; CERI RESEARCH GRANT FROM WAWASAN OPEN UNIVERSITY – RM27,900 (In Progress)
Selected Grants obtained as a MEMBER from 2015 until now:
- Projek Pengumpulan Data Pusat Data Kanak-kanak Kebangsaan (Natioanl Child Data Centre-NCDC) Fasa 2 & 3; KEMENTERIAN PENGAIJIAN TINGGI – RM2,762,933 (Completed)
- LGERMS: An Edutainment Framework for Digitally Modelling Enhancement of Plants 2D and Sound Rendering with L-Systems Algorithm; KEMENTERIAN PENGAJIAN TINGGI – RM87,580 (Completed)
Consultancy and Advisory Work
- Visiting Scientist at Universite Grenoble Alpes, France in the research project of Exploring the Large-Scale Life Logging in Tourism Sector to Enhance the Sharing Experience.
- Consultant at National Child Development Research Centre (NCDRC) Technical Team and Research Committee to analyze and interpret the data.
- Ambassador of Laboratoire d’Informatique De Grenoble to promote international collaboration in term of research in Information Technology.
- Expert Researcher for E-Tourism Centre and Chengdu University, China in the research project of Mobile Tourism which co-developed by Tencent Holdings, China.
- As an Invited Panel from MDEC in 100 Go Digital which is an initiative to enable traditional Malaysian businesses in key sectors moving towards digitalization, improving efficiency and customer experience.
- As IT Consultant in the lawyer firm (Foong & Tan Advocated & Solicitors) to assist them in Cyber Crime Offences
Supervision of Student
- Nor Azziaty binti Abdul Rahman (Research),Supervisor,(Data Mining and Predictive Analysis among the Employment of Fresh Graduate Students in Public Universities, Malaysia); Completed
- Khan Haseeb Ur Rehman, Supervisor, (Contextual Suggestion and Recommendation Systems for Sustainable e-Tourism); Completed
- Chong Hwei T eeng, Co-Supervisor , (Landscape Plant Generator with L- System and Sound); In Progress
- Al Haideri Abdulhadi Qays Abdulhadi, Co-Supervisor,(Decision by Judging the Differences between the Best and Candidate Achievement per Criterion); In Progress
- Alamoodi Abdullah Hussein Abdullah,Co-Supervisor,(A New Prediction Model for Missing Data Imputation using Machine Learning Algorithms); In Progress
A Survey on Communication Components for IoT-based Technologies in Smart Homes; Telecommunication System (ISI); Impact Factor 1.707; Q3
A Proposed Methodology of Bringing Past Life in Digital Cultural Heritage through Crowd Simulation: A Case Study in George Town, Malaysia; Multimedia Tools and Applications (ISI); Impact Factor 2.101; Q2
Smart Home-based IoT for Real-time and Secure Remote Health Monitoring of Triage and Priority System using Body Sensors: Multi-driven Systematic Review; Journal of Medical Systems (ISI); Impact Factor 2.415; Q2
Please visit the Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Spgu8C4AAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao for more details.
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Digital Technology
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah