Name of Staff: Wendy Bong Chin Wei
Designation: Associate Professor and Dean of the School
Qualifications: PhD (IT), MSc(IT)., BIT(Hons) (UNIMAS)
Dr Wendy is ‘returning’ to WOU, the university where she had once served as Senior Lecturer of SST from 2006-2008. She has accumulated some 15 years work experience in the area of information and communications technology (ICT), particularly in research and teaching.
Prior to re-joining WOU, she had worked as a Senior Staff Researcher from 2011-2013 at MIMOS Berhad, a fully government-funded company that undertakes research in ICT. While at MIMOS in Technology Park Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, she actively carried out research activities for the artificial intelligence centre, knowledge management cluster, and the information security laboratory. She was a postdoctoral Research Fellow at the School of Computer Science, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), from 2009-2011. She had previously also served as Lecturer in KDU College, Penang from 2004-2006, and as Research Fellow in Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) from 1999-2004.
She obtained her PhD in Information Technology from Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, where her doctoral thesis focused on algorithm design, optimisation, decision-making, and artificial intelligence. She was a recipient of Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Award for Ph.D. and M.Sc. programmes from the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Malaysia. Dr. Bong’s research activities were mainly supported by research grants from Ministry of Health (MOH), MOSTI and USM. Dr. Bong has published about 50 papers including several high impact factor international journals and international conferences.
Course Development Experience:
1. Chin Wei Bong, Shirwaikar, S. and Kamalapur, S. (2013). TCC 222 Operating Systems. Wawasan Open University, Penang.
2. Chin Wei Bong (2010). TCC 239/5 Problem Solving with Objects in Java. Wawasan Open University, Penang.
3. Chin Wei Bong and Goh, C. (2008). TCC 121 Programming Fundamentals with Java. Wawasan Open University, Penang.
4. Deshpande N., Gondhalekar S., Lichade V., Sukumar L. and Chin Wei Bong (2007). TCC 211 Data Structure. Wawasan Open University, Penang.
5. Chin Wei Bong (May 2007). TCC 102 Computing II (Adaptation of MT201 Programming Fundamentals in Java from Open University of Hong Kong). Wawasan Open University, Penang.
6. Sivakumar R. and Chin Wei Bong (Jan 2007). TCC 101 Computing I (Adaptation of MT201 Programming Fundamentals in Java from Open University of Hong Kong). Wawasan Open University, Penang.
Algorithm design, optimisation, decision-making, and artificial intelligence in application of medical informatics and bioinformatics, geographical information systems, information security and knowledge management
Research Projects and Consultancy Work:
Dr. Bong had in the past provided her expertise and IT consultancy services to the Penang General Hospital, GeneNews (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., a cancer research centre and MYSTECH Solutions Sdn. Bhd., a solution firm for Computer-aided Design for surveyors and civil engineers. Besides, she has been also invited to conduct invited lecture in USM for postgraduate students and tutorial session in the second and third Malaysian Joint Conference Artificial Intelligence. She was also External Examiner for PSDC and Advisory Board Member for KDU Penang.
1. Chin Wei Bong and Xin-She Yang (2014). Evolutionary Clustering for Synthetic Aperture Radar Images. In Slawomir Koziel, Leifur Leifsson, Xin-She Yang (eds) Solving Computationally Extensive Engineering Problems: Methods and Applications. Springer Series.
2. Chin Wei Bong, Hong Yoong Lam, Ahmad Tajudin Khader and Hamzah Kamarulzaman (2012) Multiobjective Clustering Ensemble for Medical Image Segmentation with Archive-Based Hybrid Scatter Search. Special issue on Multiobjective Metaheuristics for Multidisciplinary Engineering Applications, Engineering Optimization, Taylor and Francis. ISSN: 0305-215x (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor 0.966)
3. Haniza Omar, Chun Ren Lim, Samuel Chao S., Michelle Lee M.L. , Chin Wei Bong, et al. (2014) Blood Gene Signature for Early Hepatocellular Carcinoma Detection in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis B. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor: 3.203)
4. Men Long Liong, Chun Ren Lim, Hengxuan Yang, Samuel Chao, Chin Wei Bong, et al. (2012) Blood-based Biomarkers of Aggressive Prostate Cancer. PLoS ONE 7(9): e45802. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045802 (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor 4.092)
5. Chin Wei Bong and Mandava Rajeswari (2012) "Multiobjective Clustering – Current Trends and Methods to Image Segmentation". IET Image Processing Vol. 6, Iss. 1, pp.1–10. ISSN: 1751-9667 (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor 0.804)
6. Adel M Zaatar, Chun Ren Lim, Chin Wei Bong, et al. (2012) Whole Blood Transcriptome Correlates with Treatment Response in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research 2012, 31(1):76, Springer. (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor 2.15)
7. Chin Wei Bong and Mandava Rajeswari (2011) "Multi-objective Nature-inspired Clustering and Classification Techniques for Image Segmentation" Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 11, Iss. 4, pp. 3271–3282. Elsevier. ISSN: 1568-4946 (ISI-indexed, Impact Factor 2.1)
8. Chin Wei Bong, Derek William Holtby and Kang Siong Ng (2012) “Modeling Personalised Trust Index for Measurement of Document Content Reliability,” Fifth International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design (ISCID), Korea.
9. Haniza Omar, Chun Ren Lim, Chin Wei Bong, et al. (2012) "Blood-based biomarkers for early liver cancer detection in patients with chronic hepatitis B," Annual Meeting of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO 2012), June 2012, Chicago.
10. Sieow Yeek Tan, Chin Wei Bong, Dickson Lukose (2012) “Building Detection with Loosely-Coupled Hybrid Feature Descriptors,” (12th Pacific Rim International Conference of Artificial Intelligence (PRICAI’11), 20 – 22 Sep 2012, Sarawak, Malaysia) in Communications in Computer and Information Science, Springer Series. (Citation Indexed ISI Proceeding)
11. Mandava Rajeswari, Alia, Osama M., Chin Wei Bong, Dhanesh Ramachandram, Aziz, M. Ezane, Shuaib, Ibrahim L. (2010) “Osteosarcoma segmentation in MRI using dynamic Harmony Search based clustering,” IEEE International Conference of Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition (SoCPaR 2010), Paris, France. (Citation Indexed (ISI/SCOPUS) Proceeding)
12. Chin Wei Bong (2009). A Multi-Channel Approach For Monitoring Off-Shore Outsourcing Projects For Distance Learning Material Development. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education (TOJDE). Volume: 9 Number: 4. ISSN: 1302-6488 (SCOPUS-indexed)
Conferences , Seminar and Workshops:
1) Chair for Special Session for Computational Intelligence for Vision and Image Processing in 12th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Sept 3-7, 2012, Sarawak, Malaysia
2) Invited Session Chair for IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems (CIS 2010), Singapore
3) Scientific Committee Member for the 3rd International Conference on E-Medical Systems, Fez, Morocco, E-MediSys 2010.
4) Symposium Program Committee, International Symposium on Information Technology 2010 (ITSim 2010)
5) Senior Program Committee Members for the Malaysian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, MJCAI 2009 and 2010
6) Tutorial Chair for Artificial Intelligence Tutorial (AIT) in conjunction with the First Malaysian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2009
7) International Committee Member for AICIT's international conference series
(AICIT's NCM, ICIS, ICCIT and NISS are well-known world class International conferences)
8) Local organizing committee members for Semantic Technology And Knowledge Engineering, STAKE 2009
9) Committee member for 3rd International Conference on Informatics and Technology 2009 (Informatics 2009)
Honorary Appointments and Awards:
2002 to 2005 Award of Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Fellowship (PTPTP) for Ph.D. programme by Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia
1999 to 2000 Award of Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Fellowship (PTPTP) for M.Sc. programme by Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia
1997 to 1999 Dean list of BSc in IT. (Semester 2 session 1997/1998 and Semester 2 session 1998/1999)
1993 Yayasan Sarawak Prize for best overall academic performance in Malaysian Certificate of Education
1991 Yayasan Sarawak Prize for best overall academic performance in Malaysia Lower Certificate of Education
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Science and Technology
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah
Personal Homepage (optional)