Studying at an ODL university
Using online forums
In WOU, forums are one of the platforms that students can use to contact their tutors, CC as well as interact with peers. Students can post the topics of discussion into the forum.
There are two main types of forums – WawasanLearn (for part-time students) and Wawasan2U (for full-time students). They both have similar functions. We will start off by looking at the WawasanLearn.
The Learning Management System for open distance learners in WOU is known as WawasanLearn. Students can find their course materials and the latest course information in WawasanLearn. They can also communicate with their tutors, the Course Coordinators (CCs) and coursemates using WawasanLearn. There are five main forums here as given below:
1. Announcement from Course Coordinator – This forum contains the latest course announcements, course materials and course related information and it will be updated by the Course Coordinator. Check this forum regularly as the updates posted by your CC will be very essential to your learning.
2. Announcement from Tutor – This forum contains the latest tutorial announcements made by the tutor. Course related information for the tutorial class, TMAs, examinations and also other pertinent information will be posted here.
3. Tutor Contact Details – This forum will be updated by each tutor assigned to the course. Your class tutor will post his/her contact number and available time for tutoring here.
4. Public Forum – Anyone enrolled in the course can make postings here for discussion on general issues.
5. Tutorial Forum – This is a forum dedicated for tutors and students to make postings or communicate with each other to discuss tutorial specific issues within the same tutorial class such as queries on TMA. It also provides an avenue for seeking answers or clarification to issues, doubts or any questions that you might have related to the course content.
WOU’s on-campus learning management system known as Wawasan2u, is a platform that contains announcements and forums for students to virtually interact with their peers and lecturers. It also hosts lecture notes, power point slides, time tables and web links to other learning sites relevant to the course.
The first forum is Announcements from the Lecturer. This forum consists of announcements that the lecturer will post from time to time regarding course content, assignments and other areas related to the course.
The public forum is an avenue for class discussion related to class or general issues. It can be used for discussion with the lecturer or classmates.