Name of Staff: Dr Tan Choo Jun
Designation: Senior Lecturer
Qualifications: PhD (Evolutionary Computing) (USM), Msc(IT) (UUM), BEc (Hons) (UUM)
Dr Tan has more than 10-year experience in software design and development, as well as research and development in computational intelligence. He has gained extensive experience and skills in various job positions while serving small-medium industries ( SMIs ) and semi-conductor manufacturers, and universities. These organizations include Multimedia Super Corridor ( MSC )-based companies and universities in Malaysia as well as Singapore-based software development companies.
He received his Bachelor, Master, and PhD degrees in 1998, 2000, and 2014, respectively. In addition to industrial experience, he has substantial experience in conducting classes and serving as learning advisor for undergraduate and master degree students.
Design and development of computational intelligence models, especially evolutionary algorithms, and their applications to multi-objective optimization problems.
Please visit the Google Scholar for more details.
Research Projects and Consultancy Work:
First project, Evolutionary Algorithm-Based Circuit Optimizer ( Cmizer ) project, is a collaboration project with Universiti Malaysia Perlis ( UniMAP ), University of Science Malaysia ( USM ), Myreka Technologies Sdn. Bhd. ( Myreka ) and Deakin University Australia ( Deakin ). This project has received a two-year financial assistance, i.e. Knowledge Transfer Programme Grant, from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia in 2012. Established under the partnership between UniMAP and Myreka, and in collaboration with USM and Deakin, Cmizer is a step forward to assist the local electronic industries in increasing their competitiveness and meeting the challenges in the global market. It has been awarded with Bronze Medal in the 3rd Cyber International Genius Inventor Fair ( CIGIF ) 2012 in South Korea.
The second project, USM Extract, is a collaboration project with professionals from manufacturing industries, software development partners, and local educational institution. USM Extract won the Silver Prize of the 5th Open Source Software ( OSS ) World Challenge, 2011 with his OSS package named “USM Extract”, a suite of soft computing and other data-based learning algorithms for Extracting information/knowledge from complex databases, which contributes towards the use of OSS-based intelligent systems in the Knowledge Discovery in Databases domain. OSS World Challenge is an annual competition on OSS projects hosted by Ministry of Knowledge and Economy of Korea. The main aim of the competition is to promote OSS development and to expand various exchanges among OSS developers all over the world. A total of 56 projects from 22 countries were submitted to vie for 5 prizes at the 5th OSS World Challenge, 2011. The PCL project from Stanford University won the Grand Prize. The Shark project, a collaborative effort from universities in Denmark, Switzerland, and Germany, won the Gold Prize.
Both USM Extract and DIADEM project from Oxford University won the Silver Prizes. The Meego Prize, a special award sponsored by Intel for projects focusing on the MeeGo mobile platform, went to Meego Team from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
The third project, Mobile Desktop Grid ( MDG ) project, is a collaboration project with professionals from Pacific Rim Application and Grid Middleware Assembly ( PRAGMA ). MDG won various awards in the Open Jive Regional Challenge at Malaysia in year 2009. MDG has been awarded as the Malaysia Champion, Parasoft's Code Quality Challenge Award, and Sun MicroSystems Technology Award. As a result, MDG is the chosen project to represent Malaysia in the Open Jive Grand Finals Challenge at Singapore. Again, MDG is awarded as the Sun MicroSystems Technology Award in the Open Jive Grand Finals Challenge.
International and National Awards:
1. Silver Medal for the Best Paper Award, the Annual Conference of Asian Association of Open Universities ( AAOU ) 2016 ( Research title: Soft Computing Model In Educational Data Mining: A Distance Learning Experience ).
2. MIMOS Prestigious Award ( MPA ), the National Innovation Award Night ( Malam Anugerah Inovasi Negara ) 2014 atPutra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur. MPA represents MIMOS’s highest recognition of the contributions of the research community and the industry to the nation’s global competitiveness. Note that MIMOS is the National Research & Development Centre in Information and Communications Technology ( ICT ) of Malaysia, which is also a strategic agency under Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation ( MOSTI ).
3. Bronze Medal, the Korea CIGIF 2012 ( Cmizer project )
4. Silver Prize, the Korea OSS World Challenge 2011( USM Extract project )
5. Finalist, the MSC Malaysia - Asia Pacific ICT Awards ( APICTA ) 2010 ( MDG project )
6. Malaysia Champion, Parasoft's Code Quality Challenge Award, and Sun MicroSystems Technology Award, the Open Jive Regional Challenge 2009 ( MDG project )
7. Sun MicroSystems Technology Award, the Open Jive Grand Final Challenge 2009 ( MDG project )
Selected Conferences, Seminars and Workshops:
1. 2015: 9th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference ( SysCon ), Vancouver Canada.
2. 2015: 11th International Symposium on Management Engineering ( ISME ), Kitakyushu Japan.
3. 2013: 1st International Symposium on Affective Engineering ( ISAE ), Kitakyushu Japan.
4. 2013: Workshop on Advanced Algorithms in Computer Vision and Imaging using MATLAB, Penang Malaysia.
5. 2011: The Sixth International Conference on Bio-Inpired Computing: Theories and Applications, Penang Malaysia.
6. 2010: General-purpose computing on graphics processing units ( GPGPU ) Programming workshop, Penang Malaysia.
7. 2010: Biometrics Summer School, Penang Malaysia.
8. 2010: Seminar on Computing in Health, Penang Malaysia.
9. 2009: Microsoft Windows High-Performance Computing ( HPC ) workshop, Penang Malaysia.
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Science and Technology
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah