Name of Staff: Prof Dr Santhiram R. Raman
Qualifications: B.A.(Hons) (University of Malaya), M.Ed. (USM), Ph.D (University of Sussex)
Dr Santhiram Raman comes to WOU with about 47 years of experience in the field of education. He started as a secondary school teacher in 1965. He went on to be a Research Officer with Project InSPIRE (IDRC-USM) in 1979. He was appointed as Lecturer at the School of Educational Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia in 1985 and was conferred Associate Professorship in 1998. On retiring from USM, he joined KDU Penang Campus as their Director of Studies in 2002. In 2005 he left for Universiti Brunei Darussalam as Associate Professor at the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education. He joined Wawasan Open University in August, 2012.
Course Development Experience:
> Education & Development ( M.Ed., Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD)
> Education Research Methods (M. Teach. UBD)
> History Education ll (M. Teach. UBD)
> Curriculum & Innovation in Soc. Studies Education (M. Ed. UBD)
> Critical Review of Research in Soc. Studies Education ( M. Ed. UBD)
History Teaching Methods; Educational Policies Evaluation; Education of Ethnic Minorities; Development of Education.
1. R. Santhiram & Tan Y.S. (2010) Education of Minorities: The Case of Malaysian Chinese. Petaling Jaya: Strategic Information Research & Development Centre (SIRD) Malaysia.
2. R. Santhiram, Hazri Jamil, Molly Lee, Hairul Nizam Ismail, Nordin Razak, Subadrah Nair, Najeemah Md. Yusof & Lee Lay Wah (2004). Ethnic interaction among students in secondary schools in Malaysia. Research Monograph No. 1/2004 Universiti Sains Malaysia.
3. R. Santhiram (1999) The Education of Minorities: the case of Indians in Malaysia. CHILD, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
4. R. Santhiram (2006) "Education in Pre-Western Brunei". A chapter in Fifty Years of Teacher Education in Brunei Darussalam: A Special Commemorative Publication 1956-2006 Brunei SHBIE, Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
5. R. Santhiram & K. Maheswari (2000) "The Education System of Malaysia: From National Interest to Globalization". A Chapter in Book: Winzer M. Mazurek, K. & Majorek C. (Eds.). Education in a Global Society: A Comparative Perspective, Allyn & Bacon, Canada.
6. R. Santhiram (1999) "The Language Factor in the Education of Ethnic Minorities - a Malaysian Case Study". A chapter in Book: Reihhard Golz, Rudolf W. Keck & Wolfgang Mayrhofer (Eds.), Humanisation of Education - Yearbook 1999 Peter Lang Publishers, Frankfurt.
7. R. Santhiram (1999) "Educational Research in Multi-Ethnic School Settings: A Malaysia Experience". A Chapter in Book: Mcguinty S. (Ed.) Doing Research In Schools, Peter Lang Publishers, New York.
8. R. Santhiram (1998) Rozwoj oswiaty w Malezji. Studium stosunkow miedzyetnicznych (Malaysian Educational Development: A Study in Inter-ethnic Relations (Translated into Polish Language). A chapter in Book: Nadzieje I zagrozenia (1998) Edukacja Mlodego Pokolenia Polakow I Ukraincow W Kontekscie Integracji Europejkiej, Lublin, Poland.
9. R. Santhiram & Hoh Thian Soo (2012) "ICT Literacy among secondary school students in Brunei Darussalam". Jurnal Pendidikan (Journal of Education) Vol. 16, July 2012. JPK. Ministry of Education Brunei.
10. R. Santhiram & Hazri Jamil (2012) "Malaysian educational policy for national integration: contested terrain of multiple aspirations in a multicultural nation". Journal of Language & Culture. Vol 3(1) pp. 20-31.
11. R. Santhiram and Tan, Y.S. (2010) Ethnic segregation in Malaysia's education system: Enrolment choices, preferential policies and desegregation. Pedagogica Historica 46(1&2), 115-129.
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Education, Languages & Communications
Wawasan Open University
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, 10050 Penang