Name of Staff: Dr. Chee-Leong Lee
Designation: Associate Professor
Qualifications: B.Sc. (Physics) (USM), M.Eng. (EE) (NUS), Ph.D. (Physics) (Strathclyde)
"Dominus illuminatio mea - The Lord is the source of my enlightenment (Psalm 27:1)"
I was born in Penang and educated in Chung Ling High School in Penang prior to my tertiary education.
Professional Working Experiences:
1) Jan 2003 - Nov 2004, as a LED Fabrication Process Engineer in Agilent Technologies Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
2) Mar 2009 – May 2015, as an Assistant Professor.
August 2009 – May 2015 as a Head of Department of Physical and Mathematical
Science, Faculty of Science, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR).
Course Development Experience:
In a progress of developing a course of Engineering Mechanics.
1. Diamond Field Effect Transistor or other semiconductor materials
2. Micro- or nano-optical devices
3. Photonics and Solar Cell
4. Sensing devices
Research Projects and Consultancy Work:
Served as a PI in a project entitled “Enhancement of optical efficiency of the solar cell using self-assembled microspheres.” under the research grant of UTAR.
Supervision of postgraduate students:
1) Mr. Goh Wee Sheng (UTAR), as main-supervisor, Oct 2014 – May 2015.
2) Mr. Lee Meng Keong (UTAR), as co-supervisor, Jan 2013 – May 2015.
1. C.L. Lee, H.W. Choi, E. Gu, H. Murphy, M.D. Dawson, “Fabrication and characterization of diamond micro-optics”, Dia. Rel. Mat., 15, 725 (2006).
Impact Factor: 1.8. No. of Citations in Scopus: 27.
2. C.L. Lee, E. Gu, M.D. Dawson, “Micro-cylindrical and micro-ring lenses in CVD diamond”, Dia. Rel.Mat., 16, 944 (2007).
Impact Factor: 1.8. No. of Citations in Scopus: 23.
3. C.L. Lee, E. Gu, M.D. Dawson, I. Friel, G.A. Scarsbrook, “Etching and micro-optics fabrication in diamond using chlorine-based inductively-coupled plasma”, Dia. Rel. Mat., 17, 1292 (2008).
Impact Factor: 1.8 No. of Citations in Scopus:68.
4. C.L. Lee, M.D. Dawson, E. Gu, “Diamond double-sided micro-lenses and reflection gratings”, Opt.Mat., 32, 1123 (2010).
Impact Factor: 2.1. No. of Citations in Scopus: 7.
5. Nicolas Laurand, C.L. Lee, E. Gu, J.E. Hastie, A.J. Kemp, Stephane Calvez and Martin D. Dawson,“Array-Format Microchip Semiconductor Disk Lasers”, J. Quant. Electron., 44, 1096 (2008).
Impact Factor: 2.2. No. of Citations in Scopus: 10.
6. N. Laurand, C.L. Lee, E. Gu, J.E. Hastie, S. Calvez, M.D. Dawson, , “Microlensed Microchip VECSEL”, Opt. Exp., 15, 9341 (2007).
Impact Factor: 3.6. No. of Citations in Scopus: 25.
7. S. Giet, C.-L. Lee, S. Calvez, M. D. Dawson, N. Destouches, J.-C. Pommier, and O. Parriaux, Opt. Exp.,“Stabilization of a semiconductor disk laser using an intra-cavity high reflectivity grating”, 15, 16520 (2007).
Impact Factor: 3.6. No. of Citations in Scopus: 14.
8. N. Laurand, C –L. Lee, E. Gu, S. Calvez, M.D. Dawson, “Power-Scaling of Diamond Microlensed Microchip Semiconductor Disk Lasers”, IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett., 21, 152 (2009).
Impact Factor: 2.2. No. of Citations in Scopus: 6.
9. R. Mackintosh, A.J.C. Kuehne, R.A. Pethrick, B. Guilhabert, E. Gu, C.L. Lee, M.D. Dawson, G.Heliotis and D.D.C. Bradley, “Novel polymer systems for deep UV microlens arrays”, J. Phys. D.: Appl.Phys., 41, 094007 (2008).
Impact Factor: 1.7. No. of Citations in Scopus: 7.
10. Jennifer Meei Yun Khoo, Swee Yong Chee, Chee Leong Lee, Sawavanan Nagalingam, “Superabsorbent polymer prepared using carboxymethyl cellulose derived from Ceiba pentandra (L.) Gaertn.(kapok) cotton”, J. Appl. Poly. Sc., 131, 9586 (2014).
Impact Factor: 1.6 No. of Citations in Scopus:2
11. S.Y. Chee, M. K. Lee, C.L. Lee, “Thermal Properties of Poly(Methyl Methacrylate-co-Butyl Acrylate-co-Acrylic Acid) Modified with Dinyl Benzene and Vinyltrimethoxy Silane”, J. Macromol. Sci., Part A., 53:2, 82 (2016)
Impact Factor: 0.8. No. of Citations: 1.
12. C.L. Lee, S.Y. Chee, M.K. Lee, “Alteration of the refractive index of polyacrylate and poly(styrene-co-acrylate) films via molecular structure modification”, Polym. Bull., 74, 857 (2017)
Impact Factor: 1.4.
13. Chee-Leong Lee, Wee-Sheng Goh, Swee-Yong Chee, Lai-Kuan Yik, “Enhancement of light harvesting efficiency of silicon solar cell utilizing arrays of poly(methyl methacrylate-co-acrylic acid) nano-spheres and nano-spheres with embedded silver nano-particles”, Phot.Nano.Fund. Appl., 23, 36 (2017)
Impact Factor: 1.7. No. of Citations: 1.
14. Chee-Leong Lee, Wee-Sheng Goh, Swee-Yong Chee, Lai-Kuan Yik, “Augmentation of power conversion efficiency of amorphous sili con solar cell employing poly (methyl methacrylate-co-acrylic acid) nanospheres encapsulated with gold nanoparticles”, J. Mat. Sci., 53, 5183 (2018)
Impact Factor: 2.5.
International Patent Granted:
Lee, Chee-Leong, Gu, Erdan, Scarsbrook, Geoffrey Alan, Friel Ian, Dawson, Martin David, as a coinventor on an international PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) patent (No: PCT/IB2008/050215) entitled "Plasma Etching of Diamond Surfaces", which licensed to Element Six (UK) Ltd.
Current status of the patent filed:
EP2108054 – Granted, validated in GB and DE
EP2719794 – Pending divisional application
JP5341774 – granted JP patent
JP5714052 – granted JP patent (divisional application)
US9034200 – granted US patent
US 14/685553 – pending US divisional application (not yet published)
Conferences, Seminars and Workshops:
1. Lee, C L, E F Chor and L S Tan, Investigations of Plasma Surface Treatment and Its Sequence on the Ohmic Contact on P-GaN. In 44th 2002 Electronic Materials Conference, 26-28 June 2002, California, United States, pp. 84. (Oral presentation)
2. C.L. Lee, E. Gu, M.D. Dawson, 16th European Conference on Diamond, Diamond-like Materials, Carbon Nanotubes, Nitrides and Silicon Carbide (Diamond 2005), Toulouse, France, September 11th-16th, 2005. (Oral presentation)
3. C.L. Lee, E. Gu, M.D. Dawson, 17th European Conference on Diamond, Diamond-like Materials, Carbon Nanotubes, Nitrides and Silicon Carbide (Diamond 2006), Lisbon, Portugal, September 3rd-8th, 2006. (Oral presentation)
4. C.L. Lee, E. Gu, M.D. Dawson, 18th European Conference on Diamond, Diamond-like Materials,Carbon Nanotubes, Nitrides and Silicon Carbide (Diamond 2007), Berlin, Germany, September September 8th-13th, 2007. (Oral presentation)
5. N. Laurand, C.L. Lee, E. Gu, S. Calvez, M. Dawson, Conference on Quantum Electronics and Laser Science (QELS) 2008 – Technical Digest Series, art. no. 4552570, 2008.
6. Laurand, N., Lee, C. L., Gu, E., Hastie, J. E., Calvez, S., Dawson, M. D., Suomalainen, S., Guina, M.,Okhotnikov, O., Pessa, M. & Giet, S. European conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics and the International Quantum Electronics Conference. CLEOE-IQEC 2007. IEEE, p. 1-1, June 2007.
7. Guilhabert, B. J. E., Gu, E., Mackintosh, A. R., Pethrick, R. A., Lee, C. L., Campoy-Quiles, M., Heliotis, G., Bradley, D. D. C. & Dawson, M. D. Micro-optics in UV transparent polymer for deep UV LED applications, 6th International Symposium on Blue Laser and Light Emitting Diodes (ISBLLED 2006), 05-15-2006 - 05-19 2006, Montpellier, France.
8. L.K. Yik, C.L. Lee, D. Weibach, Study of Carbon Density for the Development of High Efficiency X-ray Optics, International Conference on Photonics 2010, 5-7 July 2010 (ISBN: 9781424471867).
9. Kee-Choon Yeong, Kim-Ho Yeap, Chee-Leong Lee, Lai-Kuan Yik, Temperature tuning of band edge resonant modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals, 4th International Conference on Photonics, Equatorial Hotel Melaka, 28-30 October 2013 (ISBN: 9781467360739).
Honorary Appointments and Awards:
1. National University of Singapore Scholarship (M.Eng.) for the Master’s programme.
2. Fully funded scholarship for the phD programme by the Department of Trade and Industry Technology, United Kingdom.
3. Dean’s List holder during undergraduate study in USM and ranked first during the undergraduate programme of B.Sc(Hons) Physics.
Official Correspondence Address:
School of Science and Technology,
Wawasan Open University,
54, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, 10050 Penang.