School of Science and Technology
Graduate Diploma in Database Management
There are three main paths which a graduate from this programme can consider.
- Database administration. Database administrators are responsible for maintaining, upgrading and ensuring security of an enterprise database.
- Database architecting and design. Database architects are the very highly paid professionals who have a greater understanding of how all the processes of a particular organisation/operation work. The architect then designs an optimal database structure to facilitate the automation of the processes. Graduates from this programme could start off as database designers who would assist architects in designing the business logic which would transact with the database. With experience graduates can move up to the role of architects.
- Data driven software application development. Almost all enterprise level software applications such as ERP, MRP, LMS, etc systems work based on a large relational database. A good understanding of relational databases and the techniques of transacting very efficiently is key in the development of any data driven application. Graduates from this programme can join industry and contribute in projects which require data driven software application development.
Database management is one of the primary functions of any enterprise level software solution. The database which holds all the information is at the heart of all the functionality. Therefore, professionals who can design, deploy and maintain high volume databases are always highly sought after by industry. This programme aims to produce professionals who have a very deep technical knowledge of how to design, maintain and deploy small to medium scale enterprise level databases. In addition to having a firm grasp of relational database concepts, these professionals would also be very well experienced from a practical perspective as the programme concentrates on Microsoft SQL Server database technology which is one of the most commonly used and trusted database technologies in the market.
- Apply the technical related skills and knowledge for the development and applications of IT.
- Analyses the specification for small-scale business application developments.
- Design and develop database application programs for a particular business area.
- Manage and maintain secure IT application for an organisation.
- Utilise database tools to support IT application and infrastructure in the organisation.
- Communicate effectively with different levels of people in the workplace.
- Demonstrate reasoning and analytical skills in oral and written interaction in the workplace.
- Appreciate values and ethics that will enhance participation as loyal citizens.