School of Education, Languages and Communications
Diploma in Early Childhood Education
The Diploma in Early Childhood Education programme aims to provide professional upgrading opportunities for existing preschool teachers who do not possess diploma qualifications. This is in line with the government’s policy to equip preschool teachers with a minimum diploma qualification. Specifically, it equips students with knowledge, skills and competencies for them to be employed in childcare settings and preschools. Upon completion of the programme, graduates should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the core knowledge areas;
- apply knowledge and understanding to provide developmentally appropriate learning experiences for children’s development from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia;
- create, provide and maintain a safe, healthy and nurturing environment where children from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia learn and develop;
- demonstrate commitment to professionalism in values, attitudes and ethics;
- communicate effectively with children, colleagues, family and the community;
- apply problem solving, self-reflection, scientific skills and creative thinking in the care and education of young children from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia;
- resource, select and apply information to enhance early learning and self development; and
- exhibit basic managerial and entrepreneurial skills in early childhood settings.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma in Early Childhood Education programme, graduates will find employment in childcare settings and preschools as teachers and administrators. Also, graduates who are teachers in preschool centres without formal qualifications will then be suitably equipped and qualified to teach. Graduates may also be able to start up their own pre-school centres.