Centre for Graduate Studies
Commonwealth Executive Master of Public Administration (CeMPA)
Face to face Tutor support: Tutors will engage 5 tutorial sessions per course, to provide face-to-face tutorials to the students, along with e-mail based support in response to student queries. Not more than 25 students are proposed to be assigned to each tutor for a given course. The onlinetutorial support will be provided on the basis of a pre announced schedule and students are expected to participate actively in the sessions. A total of 5 tutorial sessions per semester are planned for each course. Tutors will lead discussions at tutorials and provide clarifications on issues related to the course , mark your assignments, provide feedback and advise you as well as monitor your progress. Tutors will also conduct case study discussions as part of the tutorials.
The online chat session can be conducted either with or without audio and video presentation. Discussions and messages on class projects and case studies can be posted for the entire class or for a specific group of students. There is also the chat log feature containing details of the chat sessions which the students can view anytime. Tutors and the course coordinators will also conduct onlinethreadeddiscussions on topical themes for each course.
Video conferencing support : The video conferencing facility is available for conducting tutorials occasionally. It may also be utilized for conducting Viva Voce for student research projects under the programme. For the benefit of the students, public lectures by eminent academicians and industry experts may be organized through video conferencing.
Discussion room for Student interaction as part of the WawasanLearn features: This is an interactive environment in which the students can have discussions and post questions among themselves, organise case discussions, experience sharing and other peer interaction. Students are encouraged to form learning communities to enhance their learning through sharing other’s experiences as well as learning about diverse applications of public management concepts in different organisations
Residential School cum Project Workshop: A Residential School cum Project Workshop spread over a weekend, will be organised once in each semester to provide intensive interaction with industry experts to enhance their knowledge and assist in completing their project work. In addition, the Residential School will provide a platform for learners to share experiences and establish useful networks.
Digital Library Access: Registered students, upon authentication, will have access to electronic library catalogues, databases, e-books, e-journals and other virtual reference resources.
(1) Regular Entry
- Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of at least 2.5; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of less than 2.5 with a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field; OR
- Any other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian Government and approved by the Senate of the University
(2) Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)
Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) provides an opportunity for individuals with working experience but lack of formal academic qualifications to pursue their tertiary studies. APEL involves the identification, documentation and assessment of prior experiential learning to determine the extent to which an individual has achieved the desired learning outcomes, for access to a programme of study.
Applicants should comply with the following admission criteria stipulated by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA):
- The candidate should be at least 30 years of age in the year of application and possess at least STPM / Diploma / equivalent (e.g. foundation) with relevant work experience.
The CeMPA degree is designed to provide the students with an understanding and knowledge of public systems and management. As a professional programme, emphasis is placed upon acquiring those administrative concepts, processes, and techniques that are associated with managing the public systems at various levels. The programme blends the theoretical and practical dimensions of administration and encourages a broadened academic and professional perspective.
Working adults are well aware that career objectives are easier to achieve with advanced education. However, the demands of work, family, and other obligations leave little time for conventional graduate studies. WOU has made, by using the Open and Distance learning mode, the CeMPA programme more flexible and accessible to the working adults in Malaysia.
The CeMPA degree is an interdisciplinary programme drawing from fields such as policy process and policy analysis, economics, management, political science, finance/accounting, research methods, statistics, ethics and public management in order to equip CeMPA graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector.
The objectives of this programme are as follows:
- To provide enhanced knowledge that includes interpersonal skills, self-reliance, resilience and clarity about public service values and principles.
- To develop diagnostic tools among public sector professionals by instilling a solid grasp of the key ideas and techniques of public management.
- To enhance the ability to see the bigger picture and make local observations by understanding institutional renewal, policy discourse and processes, social and economic trends.
- Programme offered as an ODL Programme with attendant access and flexibility elements suited to the requirements of working adults in Malaysia.
- Content developed collaboratively through participation of COL and leading open universities in Asia.
- Global content adapted suitably to local public sector scenario.
- Learning supported by highly interactive and well designed learning support system including Face to Face tutorials, online and telephonic tutoring, video conferencing support, threaded discussions and possible interaction with public sector managers.
- Programme delivery by qualified university faculty.
- High level of Application Orientation through use of case studies and project work component.
This qualification prepares students who aspire to enhance their knowledge in the management principles of international agencies, federal, national, regional and local government, the uniformed services, NGOs, voluntary organisations, and social enterprises. It will be relevant for those involved in delivering policy, leading modernisation projects, and supporting innovation. Depending on their interest, CeMPA students can focus their studies and career on a variety of public sector fields such as urban planning, transportation, public health, economic development, urban management, community development, education, non-profit organisations, information technology, environmental policy and crisis management.
Course Support Activities
Looking at the specific features of the executive MPA programme, and the expected student profile, the programme delivery incorporates several features of online students support in addition to the face to face support. The following are the components of the programme delivery: